From:
Yehudit Massouda <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yehudit Massouda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 19:30:31 -0500

I wanted to thank those that had responded to my inquiry about kosher
certification on bean and sweet rice flours. Most people mentioned
'Authentic foods' (1-800-806-4737, 310-366-7612. Fax is
310-366-6938. They also have a website to order from:
www.authenticfoods.com ) as well as Kinnikinick
(http://www.kinnikinnick.com/welcome.html), and Ener-G Foods
located in Seattle, Washington.

However, one listmate responded with some benificial information
that I'd like to share as follows:

"I also keep kosher so asked my local VAAD HaKashrut (Star K) about
flour, pasta (flour & water only), etc. I was told that flour did NOT
need kosher certification. I have since talked with a Rabbi at Circle-K
about the purity of the flour that we get from the orient (since they
do a lot of work there) and he basically recommended that I use flour
from Thailand vs China since he trusted their quality more than from
China (the issue of certification did not come up. However the circle-K
was the first place I heard that it was ok to use pasta made from the
flour & water without kosher certification. I have since verified this with
my local VAAD).

Basically I go to the VAAD with my questions and if they cannot answer
my questions I then ask them if we both agree that so-and-so is a
reliable source to ask the question. I have called CRC (Chicago),
RabbiGorelick in Milan on Dr. Schar products (which I was told, after
they checked into the company, that it is ok to use their products
including the dairy if you do not use halav yisoroel), Rabbi Blech in
Monsey, etc."

Thanks again!

Yehudit
Brighton, MA