From:
Amber Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:42:35 -0700

Here are the following suggestions I received.  Thanks to all of those
who replied.

Ketchup

-organic ketchup by Tree of Life this one is definitely the tastiest in
my opinion

-Muir Glen has an excellent line of tomato products, including ketchup,
that are corn-free.

-Cascadian Farms has a corn free ketchup. It is sweetened with fruit
juice...pear and apple

-the manichevitz ketchup (kosher for passover) is corn-free

Marshmellows

-The only ones without corn syrup are out right now and only now,
because they are kosher for Passover and made with potato starch

-I found a recipe in Living Without one time to make corn free
marhmellows

otherwise all marshmellows have corn in them

-Granny's marshmallows.  oh - but those aren't

egg free.  i can't imagine finding egg free marshmallows

Cereal

-EnviroKidz makes GF breakfast cereal

-"Barbara's" brand makes a cocoa rice cereal that is GFCF and contains
no corn products. I have ordered this on-line through some of the GF
shopping services. It was TOO sweet for me, so I suspect it would appeal
to a child.

- Twice Rice  by Erewhon

Candy

-Tropical Source hard candies - sweetened with rice syrup and cane sugar
-

find them at www.nspiredfoods.com    Note: sugarcane is from the same
family

as corn, as is millet. This could be why I seem to have a reaction to
these candies. Otherwise they seem to be pretty "clean"

-a child might not like this, but I did actually

like this as a child (40 years ago!) -- maple sugar candy, available in
health food stores or from Vermont Country Store (on-line or catalogue)
is pure maple sugar candy and comes in a variety of little shapes and
forms. Also ginger candy, which a child probably would not like, but...
crystallized ginger -- these are things that might taste odd at first

-pure maple sugar candy from Vermont Gold, http://www.vermontgoldusa.com
<http://www.vermontgoldusa.com/> , Also rock candy is made from cane
sugar and, depending on the manufacturer, usually doesn't contain corn
syrup.

Fruit Snacks or Gummy Bears

-Cool Fruits, similar to Fruit Leather from Stretch Island (be careful
of Fruit Leather....some of their stuff isn't casein free)

Egg Replacement

-EnerG Egg Replacer (I called on this, 3/21/03,  spoke with Janice the
citric acid is from corn)

-for baked goods that don't have to have egg for rising, use one
tablespoon flaxseed to one half cup of water and boil until thick, cool
and strain.  This will work for brownies, some cookies and other things
where the taste of egg is not essential.  VERY hard to bake much without
real egg, I have found......tofu can sub in some cases, also applesauce
and gelatin.

-there are a number of possibilities for baking, including the use of
flax seeds and flax seed meal and/or applesauce. There is information
about this on various web sites that deal with GF food/recipes, as well
as in some GF cookbooks.

Information for using egg substitutes:
For each egg, one of the following may be substituted in recipes:

*       1 tsp baking powder, 1 Tbsp water, 1 Tbsp vinegar
*       1 tsp yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
*       1 Tbsp apricot puree
*       1 1/2 Tbsp water, 1 1/2 Tbsp oil, 1 tsp baking powder
*       1 packet gelatin, 2 Tbsp warm water (do not mix until ready to
use)

Margarine

-Hain's Safflower is the best, but it is partially hydrogenated if that
is an issue.  It tastes great and *behaves* like normal margarine or
butter

-Butter Substitute

Source: Good Fats and Oils (copied from GFCFrecipes)

6 T Omega Nutrition Coconut Butter (should be at room temperature) 2 T
flax oil 2 T sunflower oil

Place ingredients in a blender and mix until integrated. Do not over
mix. Place in an opaque container with lid to protect the delicate oils
from the light.

This doesn't taste like butter, but the children have gotten used to it
and it works well for equal substitution in recipes that call for butter

-Soy Willow Run Margarine

-kosher Mother's Margarine

Bread

-EnerG's Tapioca Bread is about the best bet, I have found, but doesn't
really do the trick for sandwiches unless toasted alot first.....rice
cakes are good for traveling.

-Contact Cybros, Waukesha, Wisconsin.  Bread, rolls, nuggets, mock rye &
tapioca almond are g.f. & milk free.  No corn or eggs.  They ship fresh
bread with 'two day service.'   phone 1-800-876-2253  Bread needs to be
heated--toaster or microwave, or it will crumble.  Store in freezer;
loaf will keep up to a week in the refrigerator

Cookies

-"Enjoy Life Foods" makes a "no oats" oatmeal

cookie that contains no yeast, corn, eggs, soy, dairy, GF, wheat, nuts,
or potato and that is quite good and probably sweet enough to satisfy a
child. It is soft and chewy. And they are a wonderful company to deal
with. The products are expensive, but quite wonderful. They also make
chocolate chip cookies, which I have not tried, as I don't eat
chocolate. But I understand most children actually have found the "no
oats" cookie to be more enjoyable than the choco chip.

Soft Drinks

-Whole Foods has their own brand and also Santa Fe brand with wonderful
soft drinks in lots of flavors.

-Soda we also use Kosher for passover Coke and Ginger Ale. it has a
yellow top with Hebrew writing on it