From:
Lenore Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lenore Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 21:32:12 -0500

Thanks for all the great responses.  So many choices!  Now I can hardly wait
to hit the Big Easy, and I plan on gaining a few pounds while I'm there.  If
I get additional info, I'll pass it on.

Several people recommended the Acme Oyster House for fried seafood; they use
only corn flour for breading, but it sounds like that's the norm in
N'awleans!  Here's the most convincing quote:

"One thing you can pretty reliably count on is fried catfish & oysters to be
GF because they usually bread with corn meal rather than flour.  In fact,
it's considered "cheap & cheesey" to add flour to seafood breading!  So you
can check it out with the restaurant ahead of time before you eat there.
New Orleans is known for it's high quality foods & top notch chefs.  Even
little hole in the wall places frequently prepare food with tender loving
care (unlike most of the food up here in the Pacific NW!).  I'm sure you
will have no trouble finding good places to eat."

Two recommended the Commander's Palace.  A few people warned that gumbo and
etouffes have roux as a base.  Roux is a wheat flour paste, so it's very
unlikely these are safe.  A few other people agreed that jambalaya is safe.

Other restaurants:

"There is an Indian restaurant on the second floor at canal street. Across
canal st. from the river.   (don't remember the exact location sorry)
Very good buffet at lunch.   If you don't eat Indian,  almost everything is
GF.  They only use wheat flour  for making a bread  "NAN"    Ask,  but
everything else is usually OK.
     VooDoo Bar-B-Q.   is OK.  I kept it simple with baked potato and pork.
   The sauce is probably OK.   but check for yourself.   I didn't use it
just to be on the safe side."

"Port O'Call restaurant on Esplanadae Avenue is excellent.  Get the
large Burger with cheddar cheese..has no fillers...also the loaded bake
potato...I have never had a reaction from eating there."

"People reported they had good GF meals at Dickie Brennan's, Palace Cafe',
Commander's Palace, Brennan's and The Bourbon House."

"I did eat at Commander's Palace for lunch.  It was wonderful and I was
well taken care of.  Their chef said that he could easily accomodate my
needs and to name what I wanted and he'd work around my limitations."

We also stopped at Pat O'Brien's and I showed the hostess my GF card . . .
The chef cameout and talked to me and then called over the dining room
manager and introduced me . . . We returned after the tour and had a
wonderful meal.  They couldn't have been nicer to us.

We also had a very good experience at Remoulades on Bourbon street.
The chef was able to make me a very good meal.

K Paul's will honor requests - call ahead and talk to the chef.  Well
worth the visit.

Yum!!