From:
AJ Devies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AJ Devies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 05:39:37 -0700

I've had several inquiries regarding my original post about hydrolyzed wheat protein in Sally Hansen Strengthening Nail Polish Remover.  This product is harmful to those folks who have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, the type of Celiac Disease that is expressed as skin lesions.  DH'ers must avoid skin contact with gluten-containing products as well as avoid ingesting the same.   In other words, DH'ers must concern themselves with internal AND external gluten.  For a concise, but not too technical explanation of DH, please visit this website: http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html  It is a good discussion of both CD and DH, the latter of which appears about half-way through the article.

I apologize for not including this clarification in my original post.  I'll also mention that ALL CD patients, but especially those with the DH form must avoid any and all gluten-containing skin care products that could be accidentally ingested: lipstick, lip balm or moisturizer, makeup, skin lotions (for the face or hands), nail products, suntan/sunscreen lotions, etc.

AJ