From:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 05:50:46 -0700

3rd times a charm, right ?  Continuation of GFCF Freezer meals summary:

Easy make items: GF French Toast, Omelets, Rice cakes & Peanut butter

Stock your pantry with easy to make items - brown boil-in-a bag rice, canned fish (anchovies and sardines are great sources of calcium for you, especially if you're nursing), instant thai noodle dishes from "Thai Kitchen", almonds, walnuts, cashews, GR granola (try "Bakery on Main"), GF rice milk (I like Pacific Foods), GF veggie stock (Pacific Foods) - cook your rice in this instead of water for an extra boost of veggies, Perdue shortcuts (chicken) were a life saver for my hubbie.

Check out Trader Joes (or similar health food store) for some GF CF pre-made dinners to keep in your freezer.

Easy fresh snacks to have on hand: hummus (eat with veggies, rice crackers), guacamole with veggies or baked corn chips, yogurt, fruit (pineapple refreshes thirst well), orange juice.

Notta Pasta; it is GF and cooks in 5 minutes.  Make your sauces ahead and freeze those.  Cook the pasta the day of (again only 5 minutes) then just top the pasta.  I buy this in my discount grocery store. The fancy health stores and Whole Foods do not seem to carry it. Their web site is www.nottapasta.com and you can get it on amazon.

Bell & Evans GF Frozen Chicken Tenders - they make good sandwiches, eat alone etc.  They're absolutely delicious (beware they are raw).

***********************************
We also grill extra hamburgers when we grill, so we can freeze them.  To reheat, place the thawed meat patties in a glass dish with glass lid.  Add a Tbsp. of water.  Microwave at medium power for about 5 minutes depending on the thickness of patties and how many you are reheating. they are great!
*********************************
Soups and stews are pretty easy, with or without meat, with or without beans. I cook twice as many beans as I need at a time (since I use dried beans, usually) and then I freeze the extra, which I can then throw into ground beef to make tacos/nachos, chilli with cornbread (using soy milk and yoghurt instead of milk and buttermilk, and oil instead of butter), or sloppy joes. Actually, the whole ground beef/bean mix freezes fine
************************************
I also freeze cooked rice for quick stir fries. Cooked rice also makes a great base for a quiche (mix 3 cups rice with 1 beaten eggs and press into a quiche pan, then fill as you would a regular quiche of your choice).
***********************************
soups of all sorts--freeze it in a gallon Glad ziplock bag.  Make sure it is well sealed.  (Clean off the ziplock area with a dry cloth if necessary.)  Lay bags flat on a cookie sheet till frozen and do not over fill bags.  (They should be only an inch to an inch and 1/2 thick laying down.)  Get as much air out as possible.  These are then stackable and easy to handle.
***********************************
I made pork chops by the dozens in the oven.  Some had bbq sauce on them, others had rosemary and lemon juice, some apples and cinnamon....  I baked them in different casserole dishes at the same time and cooled and froze them in quart Glad ziplocks, two per bag.  I usually bought boneless chops, as this works better for freezing.
***********************************
Another recipe I liked was chicken cordon bleu and made a gf version using gf ham luncheon meat, swiss cheese, beat the chicken thin and rolled these together with mayo.  And rolled again in rice cracker crumbs.  I baked these, froze them a couple per bag, and then made a white sauce with mozzarella in it.  I froze the mozzarella sauce in serving sized bags.  When needed, I just got out and thawed in a pot of hot water.  I heated the chicken rolls in the oven, and then served them up covered in the sauce.  You can make variations of this recipe using different cheeses, different meats (bacon or pepperoni instead of ham....) and also adding veggies like peppers and onions; and spices or herbs, as in a quesadilla....  The variations are endless.
*************************************
Cut chicken into serving size pieces and put them in marinade and freeze them.  It is easy with the new cooking bags to cook the chicken and veggies in the microwave.  There is a brown rice microwavable from Trader Joe's that takes 3 minutes to prepare.  I also do meatballs and sauce ahead and serve it over rice or GF pasta or even the asian noodles which can be cooked in 3 minutes.    When I am pressed I use frozen veggies that do not have anything on them.  Again the new steam cook bags are great for that and also for reheating frozen meats.

************************************
GF casserole that can be frozen in small portions

1 box GF elbow or shell noodles ( Tinkyadi are best)
2 lbs ground meat (make sure it is 100% and no additives)
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup shredded cheddar (casein free cheeses to substitute)
3/4 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 lb sliced mushrooms (optional)

Cook beef, onion, celery, mushrooms, and garlic in large skillet until meat is brown.  Add spices while sauteing.  Combine with cooked noodles, milk, spinach, and cheese.  Turn into a casserole, cover, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Sprinkle top with fresh grated parmesan.  Serve with a green salad.  (you could also add a couple of TBLSp of sour cream to the mixture if you wanted to)
*********************************
For the chicken soup I start with three boxes of chicken broth. Costco sell an organic, free-range, gluten,free chicken stock. It's by Chef and comes in a black box.

I start by boiling that and then cutting up chicken in bite size pieces and tossing them into the boiling broth. After the chicken I add whatever vegetables I have on hand or are in season but usually carrots, celery and onions.  I also cut then in bite size piece and toss then into the stock.  If I can get it I but a package of the fresh herbs for poultry. You can find them in the produce sections of most larger grocery stores.  I divide the cut up herbs in half and add half with the vegetables (along with a couple of bay leaves) and half 5 minutes before finishing.

The amount of veggies you add depends on how you like your broth to solid ratio.  We tend to use lots of veggies because we like a denser soup.  I then let the soup cook until the veggies are tender - at least 45 minutes or so.    Then remove from heat and let cool and then freeze.

Due to all the controversy about storing and heating foods in plastic. we now only store in glass containers.  The cheapest I found were the 2 cup glass bowls by Anchor Hockey in Kmart & Walmart. They come 3 to a package for about $5-$6.  I divide the warm soup into the bowls and let them cool on the counter. It is faster then waiting for the whole pot to cool.
**********************************
Our chili recipe is also very simple. You can use any chili recipe.  We start with a couple packages of ground turkey. You cook the turkey along with cut up onion (one onion per package of turkey) and then drain the grease.  I then add a couple of bay leaves, canned diced tomatoes, canned tomatoes sauce, kidney beans, black beans and pinto beans.  How much of each depends on which one of us is making it. I like lots of beans.  After the pot boils, simmer it for a couple of hours. Then let cool and freeze.
 ***************************
Santa Fe Stew Recipe
by Anje Waalkes (Mike and Shannon¢s Sister-in-Law)

1 lb. ground beef (browned)
1/2 onion, finely chopped (brown with hamburger)

Drain off the fat and then add

Canned corn (with juices)
Canned Green beans(with juices)
Rotel tomatoes (with juices)

Cook on med-low about an hour.

Then add 1 can Ranch Style Beans w/juices - cook about 30 minutes more
Then take off the heat, add Velveeta cheese (small block) diced up
After it melts it is ready to eat.

If making this in a crock pot, I just leave the crock pot on low after I add the cheese.

You could add any veggies you want, as much as you want. This is just the basic recipe.  (We always double it and freeze some for later J)
**********************************
GF Chicken Divan

4 cups cut broccoli
(about 1/4 pound)2 cups cooked chicken or turkey chunks
2 T butter
2 T GF flour (any kind)
1/4 t. salt
1 cup plus 2 T milk (any kind)
1/2 t. lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Steam broccoli 4 - 5 minutes.
Arrange in a medium size casserole dish.
Sprinkle chicken over broccoli.
Melt butter over medium heat, stir in flour.
Stir in milk & stir constantly 'til bubbly.
Cook one minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat, stir in salt, mayonnaise & lemon juice.
Pour over chicken.
Sprinkle w/ parmesan cheese.
Bake 20 to 30 minutes.=
Serves 3 or 4 (depending on the portion sizes & what you serve w/ it).
The recipe may be doubled & prepared in a 9 x 13" pan to serve 6 or 8.
************************************
Shepherds Pie; I just did a version of this with a corn mixture on top that was really like a corn bread, if you did it with the corn bread and have a CF recipe for this it would work.  Also the traditional version only works if you have a CF version of the mashed potatoes and I have never seen that.  I think a CF version of the corn bread is more likely.  The version I used had milk in it.
**********************************
Baked potatoes; This is not completely a freezer meal.  You can top baked potatoes with grilled chicken tenders, barbeque beef etc. Prepare your meat ahead and freeze that.  The potatoes are easy to bake.  I put them in the oven in the morning and set the oven timer so that they are done when we want to eat dinner.  We top them with salsa and maybe some chopped vegetables.
******************************
I personally will freeze just about anything. I usually cook a larger meal and freeze small containers with a complete meal in it and take it out of the freezer as I need it. I specially do this with desserts, it is nice to be able to microwave a piece of cake whenever I want a piece than to have to bake it.

my favorite is Bette HAGMAN'S basic quartet from Gluten free gourmet cooks fast and healthy. Basically you cook the meat and liquid ahead of time and free it in portions. They you defrost it and she has different things you can make w/ the basic meat.
*********************************
From The Complete Book of Gluten-Free Cooking http://www.aidantbooks.com

Big Batch Granola

12 cups GF oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup milled flaxseed
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (I pulse mine in food processor a few times)
2 cups nuts, coarsely chopped, or 1 cup millet (not Millet flour)
2 cups shredded coconut
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups canola oil
2/3 cup water
2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.

Combine first 6 ingredients in big pot or bowl; mix well.
Combine oil, water, and vanilla in small bowl, whisk together.  Drizzle oil mixture over cereal mixture, stirring well.
Divide between 2 jellyroll pans.  Bake until brown and dry, stirring every 10 minutes. (About 40 - 50 minutes)
Dried fruit can be added after baking.  Store in air-tight containers.
Eat as cereal, or sprinkle on yogurt or ice cream.

Perfect Pumpkin Muffins
NO EGGS
NO MILK OR DAIRY INGREDIENTS

1 3/4 cups Sorghum flour mix (Sorghum flour, potato starch flour, and tapioca flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flaxseed meal in 1/3 cup water
3 Tablespoons water
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree

ALL RECIPES ARE WHEAT FREE, SOY FREE, AND NUT FREE
***********************************
*******************************
There are some good breakfast-type casseroles that use hashbrowns that would probably freeze well and I'm looking for some rice-based casseroles, too.  I use recipezaar.com ofter to find good recipes.  They have some GF recipes, many that are naturally GF and others that can often be easily adapted.
******************************
Alternatives:
I subscribe to a menu service so each Thursday I get a shopping list, prep schedule and dinner recipes for the week.  I make everything fresh, but I'm sure that many meals would be great for freezing.  Most of the
recipes are gluten and dairy free or can easily be adapted. (I found the service through this listserve actually)  There are sample menus posted on the website so you can see if the food appeals to you.  http://www.cookingtf.com/
I have a lot of GFCF recipes that can be frozen.
http://karinasrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/09/gfcf-goodness.html
have you check out Food Matters website? We are a prepared foods company located in NYC but ship all over the US? We prepared gluten free, casein free lasagna, which may be useful for your husband. We also have other options as well. In addition we are starting a line of Asian foods too.  Take a look and let me know what you think. www.foodmatters-online.com
Please check out my business at www.gfMeals.com. We sell GFCF frozen, ready-to-cook entrees, sides and baked goods. We ship them nationwide. Please let me know if you have any questions at all.