From:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:56:40 -0700

Dear all,

Here are the responses I received from my inquiry into recent studies on Celiac Disease & Breastfeeding.  Thank you, all!

Angela

************************

M. A. D'Amico, J. Holmes, S. N. Stavropoulos, M. Frederick, J. Levy, A. R. DeFelice, P. G. Kazlow, and P. H. R. Green
Presentation of Pediatric Celiac Disease in the United States: Prominent Effect of Breastfeeding
Clinical Pediatrics, April 1, 2005; 44(3): 249 - 258.
**********************************
Norris JM et al., JAMA 2005 (Slide available as an attachment--email me and I'll forward it on.)
Jill M. Norris; Katherine Barriga; Edward J. Hoffenberg; Iman Taki; Dongmei Miao; Joel E. Haas; Lisa M. Emery; Ronald J. Sokol; Henry A. Erlich; George S. Eisenbarth; Marian Rewers
Risk of Celiac Disease Autoimmunity and Timing of Gluten Introduction in the Diet of Infants at Increased Risk of Disease
JAMA. 2005;293(19):2343-2351.

The findings for those at risk for celiac disease are that in order to
reduce the risk of celiac disease in the baby, the baby should be breast
fed for at least 6 months and that gluten should be introduced, in small
amounts, between 4-6 months while breast feeding.

Executive Director
The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center
Hotline: 773-702-7593
www.CeliacDisease.net

*******************************
La Leche League at http://www.llli.org// usually has a complete list of new research related to breastfeeding but I did not see any thing during my brief glance.
***********************************

I went to Dr. Fassano's talk a few months ago in atlanta.  He said breastfeeding until 1 years old seemed to have  some protective effect against getting celiac as a baby but it was unclear it it was just delaying getting Celiac or preventing it all together.

I soley breastfed my son until he was 15 months and he was diagnosed with Celiac at 18 months although I think he showed signs of Celiac (cramping at a much younger age).

I breastfed 2 of my children that we knew at birth that they carried
the celiac gene (they are part of Dr. Fasano's infant study).  Both children
receive the celiac blood panel every 6 months and neither of them have
tested positive.  I eat gluten while nursing and my boys have never received
gluten.  I kept my first son GF for 2 years and then introduced gluten.  My
baby will also stay GF for 2 years.  My 5 year old daughter has celiac, the
first in the family.

You might want to check with Dr. Fasano about breastfeeding and his infant
study.  He is that Univ of Maryland Celiac Research Center.