CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carolyn Randall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 00:04:17 -0500

Fran,
I am one of those who reads this list.  I don't have much to say -- do not
(yet) have diabetes, but my mom had it and I'm overweight and
gluten-intolerant.  I have been passing on recipes and info to others in the
celiac world -- through our local group and through passing on the word
about this list.

I have learned a lot -- and it has motivated me to work at losing weight
(using a GF low carb, high protein diet) which is the only one that seems to
work for me.  I'm slow in reading and responding and usually respond to just
the sender -- not the list.

Got my hands smacked a couple times for too much repetitive stuff and am
trying to be careful.  I've been working on the CSA cookbook #6 and haven't
had much time.

One of the things I have learned:  Cut down sugar AND starches to treat
diabetes through diet.  I wonder how many celiacs are actually borderline
diabetics with BG levels still within the "normal" range?   Because lots of
GF bread is not as tasty as wheat bread, we are not as tempted to eat as
much.  Of course, cakes, muffins, and cookies, from mixes and from scratch,
have improved greatly -- so I don't bake very often.  It's easier to stay on
a diet that way!

Thanks for all the hard work -- there are lots of new celiacs being
diagnosed and I personally know two celiacs who were diagnosed with diabetes
in the past 2 years.  This list is a real information lifeline for them.

Thanks,  Carolyn Randall,   Fairborn OH