CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Sandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 07:46:13 -0700

I'm not yet lactose intolerant. I eat cheese and drink milk daily. I do
have a question about Brie:

Is that white stuff on the outside of brie a dough? I've seen films of brie
makers stretching something around the cheese, and it looks suspiciously
like dough. I've been eating brie, and haven't noticed any problems yet,
but my symptoms were never extreme.

Thanksgiving ideas:

For years, my husband and I have made Thanksgiving a time for trying out
gourmet recipes. Frequently, these large get-togethers involved ethnic
cuisine potlucks. Although all of these were pre-sprue days, two that would
still work are Chinese and Indian. This year we're going to a friend's
house. He doesn't like turkey, but his mother insists that turkey is a
necessity. So, he's making chili. (She's making turkey.) Since he knows I
can't have flour, he's also making a flourless blue corn bread. Sounds
wonderful to me. I plan to take a vegetable and wine. Now all I have to do
is figure out what wine goes best with chili. There are times this beer
restriction is a real pain...

Another question:

Is this lactose intolerance that I can look forward to something that
requires a diet change? Or can I just take Lactaid or something like that?

Pat
Brighton, CO