CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carl Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 23:22:42 -0400

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to answer a few of your questions. I was
diagnosed with Type 1 almost 28 years ago. I have not experienced any
insulin resistance or allergies (at least that I or my doctor am aware
of).

Although I have been on the GF diet since Feb. 99, I was on a kind of
gluten reduced diet before. I was diagnosed with DH about 33 years ago
while a teen. The only diet modifications the doctor suggested was to
avoid iodized salt and not eat whole wheat bread ... Unfortunately no
doctors since knew enough to tell me anything different. Although I
realize that this ignorance is not unusual, it is still frustrating.

When my biopsy was read the doctor said that I had only moderate, not
severe, damage to the cillia. He wondered if the reduced gluten diet had
helped. Anyway, I have not had the severe malabsorption problems prior
to diagnosis that many people have had. I realize that I am very
fortunate.

I have decreased my insulin input a little over 10% since going GF. My
carbohydrate protein percentages are about the same as before, and my
calories are the same or perhaps a little higher. I am one of those
people with a very high metabolism. My doctor has been very pleased with
my glucose levels for the past few years, and I've been able to keep
them about the same since going GF.

Yes, I am feeling better. I have more energy and have began to realize
how deep my mental fog was before going GF. And I am spending much less
time in the room with only one chair.

I guess I may be one of those whose body insists on doing things
differently. From what I've heard, the normal thing is for insulin needs
to rise, not fall. That may yet prove to be the case in my situation,
but not so far.

Carl in Boise