CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carl Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 01:26:59 -0400

I am curious about the effect of going onto the gf diet on how much
insulin is needed for the same amount of food. I am insulin-dependent
and have been on the gf diet since the middle of Feb 99. I EXPECTED that
as the cillia began to heal I would need more insulin since more of the
food would be properly absorbed.

I have experienced the opposite. I have had to decrease the number of
units I take even though I am eating the same number of calories, or
perhaps even more.

I am just curious as to what others have experienced. Will this reverse
in the future (will I need to increase the units again)? I am curious
what others have experienced in making the transition to a gluten free
diet.

Thanks.

Carl