CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joyce Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:01:45 EST

Thanks you all for responding! Most of the replies suggested the camp in
Rhode Island. However, here's the edited version of the camp and one in the
Twin Cities:

We are happy to announce open registration for this summer's Camp Celiac
2003.  The Massachusetts and Rhode Island Celiac Support Group for Children
& Adults, Too! hosts this very popular, sell out annual event.  Held August
10-15 on the site of Camp Aldersgate, N. Scituate, Rhode Island, Camp
Celiac is open to children ages 7-16 with Celiac Disease.  Last year 80
children from 20 states converged on the state of RI to enjoy swimming, row
boating, canoeing, field events, ropes courses, arts & crafts, cooking
classes and the wonderful opportunity of meeting peers in a similar
situation.  The overnight camp costs $250. and is all inclusive. Camp
fills up very quickly, so don't delay.  Applicants are accepted on a first
come first serve basis.  For more information or to receive a registration
brochure, email Tanis Collard, Camp Director at
[log in to unmask]  Include your full name and mailing address.
  The Twin Cities R.O.C.K (Raising our Celiac Kids) group is pleased to
announce that we have taken over the Friends of Celiac Disease Research
Ben's Friends summer camp at Camp Courage in
Maple Lake, MN.  GFF Camp will take place August 5th through August 8th,
2003.

Camp Courage is a barrier-free residential camping facility located on
Cedar Lake near Maple Lake, Minnesota.  Set on 305 acres of beautiful lake
shore, woods and fields, Camp Courage features two campuses with cabins,
dining
halls/recreation centers, craft shops and outdoor classrooms.  Both
campuses share a pool, gymnasium, health center and horseback-riding
arena.  The focus of this camp is to provide a well-monitored situation
where children with celiac disease and their siblings, ages 8-17, can
enjoy a Gluten-Free summer camp experience.
For more information on Camp Courage, you may visit their website at
www.couragecamps.org.

We are thrilled to announce that Bev Lieven, Director of Education for
Friends of Celiac Disease Research and Coordinator of Milwaukee Celiac
Sprue Crew, will once again be working with the Camp Courage staff to
ensure a completely Gluten Free menu, and to oversee the food
preparation.  Bev has been gluten free since her diagnosis 20 years ago.
Two of her children, now young adults, are also celiacs, so Bev comes to
us with the experience of a patient and a concerned parent.

Camp fees are $235 per camper with a $100 nonrefundable registration
fee due prior to May 31, 2003.  Reservations are on a first come first
serve basis and are expected to fill up quickly.  The
balance of $135 is due on or before June 30, 2003.  If camp registration
is made after the date of June 30, camp fees will be assessed at $250
per camper with full payment due upon registration.  Check or money
orders can be made payable to ROCK, and can be mailed with the
registration form to:  ROCK-29572 Gerlach Way, Cannon Falls,MN   55009
Please feel free to contact Katie Weidner at 507-263-4254 orvia e-mail at
[log in to unmask] with any questions.
My son and daughter went to Ben's Friend's campin Maple Lake, Minnesota for
the last 2 summers.  It was wonderful.  I realize that this is probably not
your area, but I wanted to share that my 14 year old son who has celiac
disease was in heaven.  The food was great, but it was probably more about
being able to enjoy camp without having to think about the food and eat
differently than everyone else.  My non-celiac daughter really enjoyed the
camp also.

Thanks again for the information! It's great that such a camp exists!
Joyce, PA