C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 07:54:47 -0400
Good Morning,

            I have a couple friends who have problems - both are disabled
but thru neurological conditions and not CP. However, the problems should
fairly universal.  I want to run the scenerio's by you guys and see what
good ideas you might have.

        My friend - who lives here in Alexandria has only taken to being in
wheelchair in the past two years. She is running up against the
discrimation/stigma and is naturally angry. I talk to her and let her vent
and she listens and gets heartburn on my behalf on the Pagan deal - it
outrages that I can lose my child because of this. I in turn don't
understand why her office can't be made more user friendly for her - she has
since retired and works with disabled in a Wildlife Program and homeschools
an ADHD child. How do I help her thru the anger - what good postive things
can I do - beyond being a good friend - there must be insights you have and
can share - I hope!!!

        Secondly, I am on a list for us older folks and a man recently
joined the list. He is a quadraplegic and  has been placed in a nursing home
by his wife of many years and hates it. He wants to go back to his home or
at least live independently - He is I think in Ohio. I am curious - can you
placed in a nursing against your will? What alternatives does he have? How
can we help?

                                  Brightest Blessings
                                      Trisha