C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 11:43:36 -0400
Hi Elizabeth,

        Thanks for your input - I shared the nursing home part. And with
Betty will just keep being my normal self. I imagine I won't transition into
a wheelchair very gracefully myself when the day comes - at this point I am
too stubborn. Besides any inactivity period has me becoming very stiff. I
have taken not being able to do things in stride so far, and have long since
forgotten what an absense of pain must feel like. Amber and I have learned
how to be a team and get things done despite our little inabilities. She so
cute now that she is my height and she says Mom let me do it - you'll hurt
yourself!

                            Brightest Blessings
                                 Trisha

> > Good Morning,
>
> >         My friend - who lives here in Alexandria has only taken to being
> in
> > wheelchair in the past two years. She is running up against the
> > discrimation/stigma and is naturally angry. I talk to her and let her
> vent
> > and she listens and gets heartburn on my behalf on the Pagan deal - it
> > outrages that I can lose my child because of this. I in turn don't
> > understand why her office can't be made more user friendly for her - she
> has
> > since retired and works with disabled in a Wildlife Program and
> homeschools
> > an ADHD child. How do I help her thru the anger - what good postive
> things
> > can I do - beyond being a good friend - there must be insights you have
> and
> > can share - I hope!!!
>
> I hope I can provide a few bits of insight.  Here goes anyway.  Your
friend
> is still in a stage where her whole life and roles have changed.
Suddenly,
> all her previous roles are gone and how to accomplishes anything now is
> different.  Her previous job should have accomadated any reasonable
> requests made by her.  Otherwise, it's a violation of ADA, a  federally
> mandated law.  I think you are already doing what any good friend should
> and that is let her vent.  Don't let her feel sorry for herself, but, let
> her vent.  She should also see if she can find a good support group in her
> area.  I learning to be a little hesitant in doing this because everyone
> has a different experience with support groups but, it is worth a try.
She