C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 22:35:42 EDT
In a message dated 10/30/1999 9:55:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< what is the cause of this. i have a friend (like a mother to me) in alabama
 that developed this.

Ken, there can be a number of causes (if we're talking about the kind I
have), but at the top of the list seems to be diabetes, alcoholism, and
certain drugs that are used to treat AIDS.  About one/third of the time, they
don't find the cause.  There are other causes too, though, so I don't want to
give you the impression that these are all -- they are just the most common
that I am aware of.  A B6 insufficiency or oversufficiency (I can't remember
which) can cause it too.  Also, pesticide and lead exposure can cause this
too.  I was tested for so many possible causes, I never even knew everything
I was tested for.

Some of the causes can be treated, and the neuropathy reversed if things
haven't gone too far, which leads me to say that I hope your friend has a
good doctor who is looking at all the possibilities.  Obviously, some of the
causes must be treated, like diabetes.  I suspect that if she knows that she
has peripheral neuropathy, she would also have been told if she has diabetes
-- I think that tends to be in the picture for a while before PN shows up (I
think -- please don't quote me on that).

The last thing I would say is that you probably needn't worry that her
neuropathy will progress as severely as mine has.  As personal experience
goes, I am almost positive that the odds are against it.  I have met people
who are in the same boat with me, but I really had to search to find them.

Check out this website if you like Ken, it has good information about PN.
I've tried to tell you all the things I can remember off the top of my head,
but you will probably get more than I can give you from the website.  I also
recall that there is some helpful information about taking care of yourself
(especially your feet) when you have this.  I wish your friend all the best.

Betty

 <A HREF="http://www.neuropathy-trust.org/">Peripheral Neuropathy Trust</A>