C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:04:13 -0500
Chrysler used the slant 6 well into the '80s.  The Plymouth Volare' and
Dodge Aspen came with that engine as standard equipment.  They abandoned it
for cars with the decision to make the budget fleet entirely front wheel
drive.  The early '80s trucks still offered the engine, ending with the
advent of the Dakota.

(I worked for Chrysler for a very short time).

No, they don't build them like that now.  Easy to work on, simple and cheap
to maintain.  My ex filled the crankcase with water instead of oil in one of
mine and then proceeded to drive 60 mi.
Rinsing the oil system a few times with kerosene gained me another 40K miles
out of the car.

The only bugaboo was that little ceramic "ballast resistor" mounted to the
firewall.  The ignition system was wired in series with this component.  If
it broke while driving down the highway--you were dead in the water.  I
learned to keep a couple spares in the glovebox.

-Kyle