C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
James Blackledge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Blackledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:17:52 -0500
OK....lets talk about BBBIIIGGGG roaches!

My husband and I lived in Miami for five years.  One night we noticed that
someone in our apartment complex had put a real nice table out by the
dumpster.  Being poor college students, with only a card table, out eyes lit
up when we saw it.  Looked pretty good in the dark.  We carried it to the
elevator and got in (we lived on the fourth floor).  This elevator was one
of those old dinky ones, fits only about 3-4 people.  We barely squeezed in
with the two of us and the table.  Well, the elevator of course was well
lit, and as soon as the doors shut on us we noticed that the underside of
the table seemed to be alive.   Thousands...I'm talking THOUSANDS of roaches
on that sucker (for all I know, Betty, the bones of that husband you
mentioned were underneath them).

You have never seen two more creeped out college kids.  And we were stuck in
there with all the roaches!!!!  Makes me queasy just to remember it.  When
we got to the fourth floor we ran out and dragged the table out to the
hallway.  We thought about what to do....well, it WAS a free table.....and
we WERE broke and dumb.  So.....we ran it fast as we could through one room
of our two room apt to the balconey and RAIDed the bejeezus out of it.  Then
shut the balconey door tight!

Next day, we swept the roaches off.....cleaned it up.....refinished
it.....and it's still a member of the family.  It's way too cool.....has
sides that fold down and claw feet.   I just try not to remember how we
found it.............

Barb