C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anthony Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:15:29 -0600
I have been reading along to this very interesting discussion here, and I
want to add that every child and adult no matter if they have a disability
or not, they're sometimes clumsy because of accidental happenings like
dropping heavy textbooks at school.  The dropping of textbooks shouldn't
make you lose sleep or get you to rush to the doctors for the "clumsy
person" label.  But speaking of diagnosing children with CP or whatever, I
have began to talk with more and more parents of older children (ages 8-16),
who haven't ever received the diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy or whatever
disability, which is a scary thought for me since I was already diagnosed
with Cerebral Palsy easily by the age of 2, and my doctors, my parents, my
therapists and some family friends were already laying out the ground work
for my rehabilitation.  Thinking about it, my parents actually leaded the
team and they had developed a fairly good plan of action by my 3rd birthday
mainly because I feel that both my parents grew either around or on farms in
North Dakota, where the model is "when you have problems with the tractor,
you have to fix it to get it going somehow because you can't just forget
about it and it will go away".   Having had this teaching has really helped
me live a life with Cerebral Palsy because whatever comes up, it's my job to
find someway of working with or around it.

Thanks,
Anthony