C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anthony Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:43:50 -0600
I don't know about anyone else here, but I feel allowing somebody like Kathy
Jo to go outside wheeling alone is a wonderful first step towards greater
developments in independence.  As a child, my parents allowed me to wheel
the streets in our housing development and than to places like the mall and
so on.  Once I even got caught in a rain storm, and luck had it I was by
Hardee's, and had them help me with the pay phone to call home, my parents
were worried but surprised when my call came.  After experiencing my life
and rehabilitation sometimes not being given to me by a doctor or therapist,
I highly recommend trying to live life by taking yourself to Hardee's, the
mall or wherever.  I'm sure that Beth the OT is going to agree with me,
therapists like her can lay out the ground work, but if the individual
doesn't take that anywhere, that isn't going to be very effective.  I can
have the top of the line therapists but what good are they, if I don't use
whatever they teach me outside of my therapy sessions.

Thanks,
Anthony