BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:58:30 EST
In a message dated 10/30/98 9:22:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Are you still trying to get your Eagle Scout Badge?  I thought 18 was
>  the cut-off...
>
>  How did your butt get sore laying bricks--do you have a novel way of
>  picking them up?

Ha ha. No, I gave up on getting my own Eagle badge some time ago. For all of
Long Island I am the ONLY person listed as a counselor for the Masonry Merit
Badge... so I get called when a scout who has never touched a brick in his
life finds himself with a deadline and a barbeque pit to build. So far, in
something like 5 years, I have given out one merit badge, and I feel lucky to
have accomplished that. I encourage anyone who has an idea to promote historic
preservation that they consider being a merit badge counselor. Scouts are
always going on trips to historic places and it helps if they have an
opportunity to be exposed to historic preservation in their own communities
and with real living people.

As to picking up bricks, the scouts handed me the bricks. Means & method were
not my concern. I did have an opportunity to remember that my relationship to
laying brick is one of contempt and disgust. I have mixed emotions of liking
to see the brick once in place, of feeling good when they are laid with
precision, but absolutely hating the process to the point of an obsession. I
go at brick laying like a madman wanting to clean out the spiders in the
psyche ward. I simply cannot wait to get done with the process and go home. It
helps explain how 20+ years ago I could build a fireplace chimney at one per
week, with or without assistance. I'm not saying it is the right way to go at
anything. So I went at the process a bit too strenuously and ended up with a
sore butt. I've been having trouble walking around the city, heck, getting out
of my chair, all week as  a result.

][<en