BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: "Authentic Replicants Converge"
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:11:45 -0500
Good story Mike.

Question?  "Mr. Mike".  Its an expression that struck as new to me in
Louisiana, although I may have run into it before.  It appeared to be
used mostly by younger folks as a sign of both affection and respect
for leaders... not necessarily managers, supervisors and bosses, but
folks who knew their stuff.  We had a Mr. Mike, a Miss Mary, a Miss
Lydia and the occasional Mr. John.  Its use was quite natural among
the local youngsters (I find myself referring to any of the team less
than 30 as a youngster or a kid), it flowed less easily from the kids
from Philly, NYC and other northerly places.  (It was strange to hear
Virginia described as "up north").  What does it mean to be "Mr. John"?

I'm home now.  The mornings are cool.  The daylight lingers on the
horizon until its absence signals the time to send the dogs out one
last time and close down the house for the night.  Its good to be
home.  Things here are tidy, ordered, the angles are right, the walls
tend to be plumb, there are no boats on the boulevard, and the folks
here are easily embarrassed.  It may justifiably be considered
boring.  Folks here do seem to strive for the worlds of the Brady
Bunch, of the Cleavers.  But, its home and it was my choice, not an
accident of birth.  I certainly shouldn't complain about its
shortcomings.

Its good to be home.

-jc