BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:00:20 -0400
Yes, I believe the Empire State Bldg has aluminum spandrel panels too.

Chrysler has aluminum window sub-sills too. Many were found bowed during our 1998-2001 restoration but all we needed to do was slide them out from below the steel windows along with one brick at each end, paint and reinstall with an allowance of 1/2" expansion sealed with sealant. This allowed the aluminum to relax, expand/contract, and not ratchet up into a bow.

Some of the Chrysler spandrels had come into contact with back up masonry mortar which caused the aluminum to corrode and look like someone had shot thru it from behind. We excavated out the contacting masonry and applied a liquid membrane patch over the hole to keep water out. We did not remove any panel.

Thanks,

Eric Hammarberg

Vice President

Thornton Tomasetti

51 Madison Avenue

New York, NY 10010

D 917.661.8160

F 917.661.8161

M 917.439.3537

www.ThorntonTomasetti.com

This message was sent from my PDA, please excuse misspellings or similar mistakes.