BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ian Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 23:06:47 +1000
Lawrence wrote:

>......  manufactured coal gas, which was
>considerably more deadly than today's natural gas, because of higher
>carbon monoxide content.  It was used in the 19th and early 20th centuries
>for lighting and maybe cooking, not for heating (since it was more
>efficient to just burn the coal directly for heat).

Gas was used for cooking and heating as well as lighting in the 19th and
early 20th centuries and I believe that the heaters in question were made
in the US. I don't want to be dogmatic about it because the circa 1904
catalogue illustrations which I know I've got somewhere 'round here won't
come to hand. The gas heaters in question were made to fit into a basket
grate and were available in a number of styles.

-- --
Ian Evans
The World of Old Houses: http://www.oldhouses.com.au
Publisher: The Flannel Flower Press Pty Ltd
PO Box 591, Mullumbimby, New South Wales, Australia 2482
Phone/fax: +612 6684 7677 Email: [log in to unmask]