BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:33:25 EST

Passing this on to the pin-heads -

<< Subj:         Fire and Smoke Damaged Plaster query
 Date:  99-02-26 12:21:50 EST
 From:  [log in to unmask] (Roxanne Eflin)
 To:    [log in to unmask]

 Inquiry:

  We are looking for any information or bibliography on sensitive clean-up
  procedures to smoke damaged plaster on an 1811 Federal wood framed house.

  We have a recently visited a client's historic house which sustained
  intense smoke damage and are beginning to update our knowledge base on
  clean-up procedures.

  We are seeking any information or literature about plaster, paint
  finishes and wood restoration after smoke damage?

  Most of the damage is smoke related, but it is pervasive.  In a past
  project the Owner contracted with ServicePro for the clean up and then
  used the primer "Bin" for all plaster and painted finishes to create a
  base for new paint application.  This approach seems to have a potential
  to harm plaster and bin is a thick primer which may be too thick or
  course as a primer for an historic paint finish.

  Also, in observing the residual effects after 10 years I've noticed that
  there are problems on aluminum and stainless steel finishes that weren't
  replaced.  I'm not certain whether the residual problems are carbon or
  acidic relative to the fire damage or relative to the chemicals or
  materials they used in the clean-up.

  Do you know more that you could share with us?

 Nancy L. Barba, AIA
 Barba Architecture & Preservation
 500 Congress St.
 Portland, Maine  04101