BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:21:19 EST
Rudy,
Seeing history after its gone....
How right you are.  Think of all the millenium-in-review projects. Everyone -
historically minded or nay - looks to the past for fond memories.."I remember
when..."  etc.  Some see history from a cultural or societal past perspective
(family, friendships, school, work, vacations...) Some from the built or
natural environment (homestead, landscape, streetscape, forest..) We look for
tangible things or memories that have relevance in our own lives.   We all
feel or remember history; whether we term it as such depends on our definition
of "history". Our history instruction in American schools has relegated
"history" to the ancients, and so-called important men and their events in
American political and technological and settlement areas.  ie. "history is:
George Washington, the Wright Brothers, Wars  and the conestoga wagon".
Preservationists, historians, environmentalists etc. whether trained
professionals or not - see the detrimental aspects of the changing landscape
that comes with the bigbox retailers. This is why we teach and inform ( and
cry / holler / shout) the corporations and general public.
One consulation: The WalMarts are reversible:  When they are no longer deemed
useful - the box can come down / the grass and fields replanted.  If they were
to move to the Main Streets of American (ie. RiteAid, CVS...) our work may be
more difficult as they may be apt to want to remove our existing built
environment we historically love.

Candy B