BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 09:18:17 -0400
From what I know, direct immediate dollars-to-dollars, painting costs
more than aluminum or vinyl siding but this misses the finer points that
we Preservationistas like to talk about. The over cladding with aluminum
or vinyl can trap moisture in the wood frame causing structural
deterioration, mold, etc. The new materials limit color choices,
painting allows all sorts of pinks and greens (just like the "Never Mind
the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" album) also, historic details and
proportions are watered down by the vinyl manufacturers.

Now, does that decrease value? It mostly depends on who is assessing
value. I live in a town that has both. The middle-of-the-road house's
value is probably not affected a whole lot if the buyer doesn't care.
However, the stand-out houses on the block or in the "hood" have surely
sold faster and for a bit more than their dowdy neighbor's. Does this
increase offset the investment in painting PLUS the other upgrades those
folks have done to their property? I don't know for sure.

Personally, I spent a ton of time on my first apartment in the city and
when it came to sell, did not get what I had invested (if I had
considered the value of my time). But I sold it in 4 days for all cash
(back when you could not get a mortgage for 450 SF apts) and a lot more
than I paid for it. All this when other apts were sitting for 3-6 months
so I think there is some incalculable value in that.

Eric Hammarberg, Assoc. AIA
Vice President
Thornton Tomasetti
51 Madison Avenue