BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

This conversation may be monitored for quality control.
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 07:12:52 EDT
In a message dated 7/8/2007 11:46:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

  Has anybody else run across plank used as  clapboard?

I am working with an 1855  Georgian style house, the third oldest surviving
house in British  Columbia, that has 1 x 8 sawn lumber installed as clapboard
siding. Thank you.   Built for a  Hudson's Bay Company farm manager by HBC
employees, the first floor structure  is in traditional HBC broad-axed piece en
piece style What  means piece en piece?, while the second floor is a sort of
attempt at framing.   The whole thing was/is covered with the  squared
clapboard siding to give it "class".    In 1853, the  farm manager brought his own
steam engine and 42" circular saw  from Scotland, and apparently set a new
standard for finish out here in the  really wild west when he arrived to set up the
farm.

With 40 staff  and families, the farm's 70 people helped create a  British
settlement at the Southern tip of Vancouver Island, keeping it  out of American
hands during boundary negotiations since this area (Victoria,  BC) is below
the 49th parallel. You bastards! We wuz  robbed.  But for that clapboard siding,
I would still be talking  Yank. You should be so lucky.

While the manager's house  was begun in 1853 by French Canadian or English
HBC  employees from the nearby Fort Victoria, the farm's 1855 two story
Georgian schoolhouse was actually completed first has the same  finish.   However, it
is totally timber frame style  construction.   The Scottish farm workers
appear to have built that  one themselves.  Diary Note: "Gideon has a crew
erecting the  schoolhouse frame.  Entire crew notoriously drunk." I suppose it was
OK as long as they were probably drinking to the Queen's health. Goddam
foreigners.

Sound familiar?
cp in bc

where some things never  change  Sounds good to me. I'll be right up.

Ralph