BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 16:17:31 -0400
>In a message dated 10/1/98 5:30:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
>writes:
>
>> You mean to tell me that we now need a tertiary alternative to the
>>  alternative to the serious list?
>
>I'm too tired to figure this one out. I guess I'm flumbustered by the peaches
>& dishonesty movement. I get the impression that some people really took the
>bubblegum sidewalk seriously and that I offended them as a result and have
>compromised the line of integrity between BS and the serious.

There's a fine line between a lot of things and a lot of folks get very
nervous when we erase it.  One of my  analogies for what I do in
administering historic districts balancing the public interests and the
property owners' interests: I am sitting on a very pointy picket fence that
is sometimes quite uncomfortable, but I really don't want to fall off,
either...on one side is a pasture of monstrously prickly thistle, on the
other is a pasture full of really angry bulls.

Dan Becker,  Executive Director            "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic                                     from some flounder?"
Districts Commission                             - Bullwinkle J. Moose