BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:57:44 -0400
I don't know much about the science here, but it seems like the seals in
these windows is not air tight, and the thermal action of repeated heating
and cooling pulls air in and out of the window cavity every day, but to a
greater degree as the seals get older.  There may be some sort of a material
built into the window cavity (desiccant) that absorbs the moisture that is
pulled into the window this way, it probably lasts the same amount of time
your warranty lasts.

The companies that say they fix this problem go in and drill some small
holes in your glass, then i guess they poor in some proprietary cleaning
solution, then they rinse it out, then they install some
more proprietary one way valves that fit in the holes that they made.

It seems to me that this kind of window because of the desiccant
is designed to fail, like asphalt shingles, a trick to get you to buy new
windows.  Without the desiccant material active i don't see how putting in
vents would solve the problem for any length of time.