BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:19:46 EST

In a message dated 1/30/2010 10:38:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

So, I looked at lots and lots of manufacturer's samples of floor tiles
today, for a mudroom - this stone, that stone, burma khaki, Tucson red, Nile
blue, etc.  And I realized:  what I want on my dfi mudroom  floor is bricks.
Red and buff bricks, of the type made   around 1900.   I can probably find
the bricks, but I am really  looking for them in interior paver widths -
that's gotta be no more than 1/2".

A)  ever seen these in this form for this purpose?   b)  can you slice
bricks in slabs?   c) how stupid is this idea,  anyway?

Christopher Gray
Director of Contemporary Temporary Objects
Fallopia Museum of Arts & Crafts

I think you'd have lots of breakage from cutting these 100 year old  brick,
and more would crack after they're set and the tilesetter has  been paid,
leaving you a unhappy homeowner.  If you want that specific  old brick, I
think you'll have to find a way to  accommodate the  thickness of the old
brick, plus 1/2" or more setting bed.  You might  check into
currently-manufactured  veneer brick (Glen Gery may make it),  but I don't know that you'd be
happy with the appearance in  terms of color  and dimension (do you want the
exposed surface to be 2 3/8 x 8, or 3 5/8 x  8?) , and I doubt that the mfrs
would guarantee it for installation as  flooring.

Keep looking at tile. If you can't find an acceptable tile in all  the
showrooms in Minhattin, you're too damn picky.

Another question is the substrate--concrete slab on heaving  sand, strip
wood floor on rotten joists, or what?

What, me rain on your parade?

Ralph