BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"S. Stokowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:19:57 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/02 8:46:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I've always had tool kits. It never occurred to my organized mind (anal
> retentive?) not to.  But I call mine tool boxes.  I've got plumbing,
> electrical, carpentry, mechanical (not including automotive tools), and
> least of all, metal working.  These just contain the smaller, more delicate
> tools.  There are also shelves and drawers full of the larger tools, spare
> tools, power tools, tool belts, and consumables.  I'll stop before I
> embarrass myself.
>
> Tools and books; You can never have too many.

Stew:

I've always had tool boxes too.  A general automotive/mechanical box.  One in
each of the vehicles, too.  A box of the lesser-used automotive tools, such
as ridge reamers and valve grinders.  A carpenters box.  Plumbing tools in a
crate.  A drawer of drills.  Hmm, actually 3 plus a tray of larger drills,
reamers, and little-used taps in oil.  Electrical stuff.  Electronics stuff,
such as VOM's and galvanometer lifters.  A tool box of soldering irons.  Bo
xes that go with specific machines, such as the table saw or the router.
There is also a home fix-it box, but it is actually a bag, so maybe it
shouldn't count.

There are also toy boxes, such as the saltwater fishing tackle box, the
freshwater fishing tackle box, the caving bag, the climbing-gear bags, etc.
Sometimes, playing at home with the tools just really doesn't hack it.

And this list of boxes and bags doesn't include the boxes of project remnant
and accumulated screws, bolts, pipe fittings, nails, washers, and other stuff
that saves trips to the hardware store.

Oh, books?  Many years ago I estimated that I had over 2,000 books.  Now,
there are more.  Yes, I've read most of the books from cover to cover.  Some,
I've read and used what I needed, and left the rest alone.

I built a bookcase for the books.  That is kind of an understatement, as the
bookcase wraps around a room and used about 2 tons of lumber.  Such a project
is a good use for the carpenters tools, which like all things can only be
useful if used.

Steve Stokowski
Stone Products Consultants
Building Products Microscopy