BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:20:07 EST
Chris ;
Thanks for the homily on Martha's Vineyard; As a yout...I spent my summers on
Marthas vineyard and built roads there with Grant construction.It was there I
became interested in archeology as we "dug up"many a Indian with our road
building . Finds included some china dolls found along Egartown and a cache of
American pennies dated 1843,one of which I still pocess. The digs went something
like this   "Kid I ll give you 2 mins to get out of that hole then Im running
this here bull dozer right through it ...end quote

It was the summer of woodstock and Ted Keneddy at Chapaquidick(sp) an
infamous lovers lane if there ever was one .and the little known story about how a
Boston Whaler was stolen that night  to transport that American hero (who "swam"
)across to Edgartown to raise the alarm (call home)
  lets see there was   Men walking on the moon  .a nude beach in Squibnocket
(sp) the Scottish bakery and some pretty good round rock walls made by one
mason who was in his 60's then
My last summer there
I lived in a 19 cent barn just outside of Edgartown entertaining wayward
peasant girls from Swathmore and St. Lawrence.
South Beach had no houses anywhere near it , nor did Gay head .
Like everywhere else I would be afraid to go back now unless I could find a
shack far from the maddening crowd. .
 I do have a Harpers 1858 narrative of the island .I assume historians there
have it ;but let me know if not .Py