BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:43:03 EDT
I met a street scape photographer back in the late 80's taking large
format pictures of carved images on row house and brownstones;as someone who
notices these things I shared about certain addresses on Riverside ;West end
ave  and up near 116 125 th st in Harlem .
The Book "over the door " is out at my man cave or the "deep woods "
library; a place where I steam and tend to my orchids ( it used to be branch
water and single malts but I had to give  that up)
Since it is stated that all politics is local ; so goes it for stone 150
years ago.; and certainly The Cathedral St John the Divine ; the limestone
Hospital next to it ;(Morningside hosp ?) also  Columbia University ;  the
grand apartments locally from riverside to Morningside ave were in a 50 year
period all being built
I do nt know how many masons were employed in this area at the time ;but at
 the cathedral we found a 1904 (union) book that had over 400 masons then
working  in the area .
In that number were certainly carvers ; and many shops took on side work
just to keep these guys going .
Sculture over the doorways goes back to the earliest of times when spirits
waked the earth and the veil was thin between  their world  and ours .Since
insurance policys besides the mace and the morningstar had  not come into
effect yet ;it paid to have a little extra protection over the  door; or
standing at the gate ;as it were
I have a large masonic lion at my gate for instance .
The Green man was popular so were the images of children ; so that they may
 last in memory and spirit long after they were gone ////Py .

d the doorways ted 6/26/2011 1:59:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

There is  1 message totaling 110 lines in this issue.

Topics of the  day:

1. rowhouse ornament carving;  free-range,  dolphin-safe wax

--
**Please remember to trim posts, as requested in  the Terms of Service**

To terminate puerile preservation prattling  among pals and the
uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go  to:

Date:   Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:54:34 EDT
From:     [log in to unmask]
Subject: rowhouse ornament carving;  free-range,  dolphin-safe wax

We know next to nothing about the economics and  operations of the stone
carving industry in the rowhouse  era.   Was the typical
leafy-man-keystone of
1885 carved  with steam power?  (Almost  cerrtainly.)   How did steam
power
change carving  techniques?   Just exactly what did a  steam powered
carving
tool - a  reciprocating hammer, probably - look  like?    What level of
design drawings were  prepared?   By the architect?   Or did  the architect
 just
say "gimme a leafy lion, like the last job, but bigger, and   give it
Springsteen's face"?    Many ornaments appear to be  quite  close -
identical? - in
execution;  did they use a  pantograph?    A stencil-type device?   Was any

ornament ever carved on site, for  rowhouse-quality  projects?   Even in
the
earliest brownstone  days?   Limestone vs. brownstone - what are the
working
considerations for  the softer vs. the harder stone?   Yes, granite is
hard,  very hard - but just how hard, especially when you are using steam
power?    Is there an example of a developer mixing  stones   on the piano
nobile
or above?

These are the  things I am thinking about while waiting for just the
teenist
touch of dry  air so I can put the first coat of finish paint on the screen
doors   on dfi.

PS John, maybe the problem was that  I used oil-based wax instead of latex
wax?    Or perhaps I  should have sanded the screening - would 150  be
about
right?   Next time I'll try an acid pre-wash - the run-off will do  the
geraniums wonders.

--
**Please remember to trim posts, as  requested in the Terms of Service**

To terminate puerile preservation  prattling among pals and the
uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go  to:

End  of BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Digest - 22 Jun 2011 to 26 Jun 2011  (#2011-90)