BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:58:12 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/2009 1:18:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Anyway,  she said they were thinking about weatherizing the windows. I
hope  she is now a member of the religion that keeps the old and thinks
about a good way to make storm windows. That's the first  question.

Mary,

While I'm sure there will be more rational and erudite discussion about the
 windows, I'd like to offer a few ideas about window weatherization- and I
do  feel strongly that there is no reason to replace good, old well  made
windows. All of the basic stuff aside - weather stripping, etc, which  goes a
very long way toward making them more efficient, I have a somewhat
different take on storms than my esteemed colleague Rudy, but agree that storm  sash
is a great asset. I prefer them on the outside of the window sash for  a
couple of reasons: I've found that, in the case of my own hut (built in 1796
with 12 over 12 sash, "new" 6 over 6 windows installed in 1805 - an
extravagant  upgrade), in a part of NY that gets avg 140" of snow a year, exterior
mounted storm sash protect the multi-light sash, glazing compound and  sills
from weather in the winter, so that a repaint every three years is  not a
critical issue. I also like the idea that the weather is getting stopped
between membranes on the outside of my window system, rather than between the
inner face of my multi-light sash and another membrane. From a  cosmetic
point of view, I enjoy looking at the delicate, hand  planed muntins on my sash
in the winter, rather than the large lights that  interior mounted sash
would present. Another reason, and this may be totally  bizarre from a rational
point of view, is that I enjoy very much the  process of the "closing up"
of the house for the winter, like putting on its  jacket for the coming snows
and wind - seeing a house with the storm sash  on is like seeing your kid
bundled up with their hat and gloves. "Opening up" in  the spring gives one
an opportunity to make the close inspection of the  windows, which because of
their nature (they really are pieces of case furniture  attached to holes
in the walls) are more prone to ravages of weather. All  of this putting on
and taking off require labor, of course, but force you to  LOOK at the
building at least twice a year and think about what it needs.

Twybil

**************Join ChristianMingle.comŽ FREE! Meet Christian Singles in
your area. Start now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221246370x1201421635/aol?redir=http://www.christianmingle.com/campaign.html?cat=adbuy&src=pl
atforma&adid=aolfooter&newurl=reg_path.html)