BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Johnette Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:51:13 +0000
As I was finishing my histo presto degree and a friend
of mine was finishing his first year of MArch, he was
rather jauntily mocking my career choice.  I said, "See,
this is how it works:  you build the buildings, then we
come along in 50 years and fix your mistakes."  (while
pointing to re-bar spalling the concrete of our
incredibly awful classroom building)  He was not quick
to respond.

Thankfully, we were discussing more modern materials
when I graduated nearly 3 years ago.  For instance,
surface finishes seminar students presented papers on
curtain walls and plastics among the more traditional
paints and such, and issues pertaining to concrete were
explored.  The year after I left (of course), they
started offering a class on metals.

It's good to know that some of our educators recognize
this increasingly important issue in the field.

- Johnette
So look out those of you