BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 11 May 2014 14:48:28 -0400

In a message dated 5/11/2014 2:24:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

In  many, if not most, instances, the visible tile on the lower surface of
vaults  (what I recall RGCo calling “soffit tile” on their drawings) are
built  integrally with the subsequent layers of tile. So, in a way, they are “
wedged”  in place like voussoirs. There are exceptions. Tile below the gross
domical  form in RGCo’s vaults -- think of the vaults in the Oyster Bar in
Grand  Central, as one example -- were applied to the “structural” tile in
the manner  you describe. It is likely, though I have no documentation to
support this  statement, that the elaborately decorated surfaces of vaults
(the Nebraska  State Capitol comes to mind) were also applied to the surface of
the  structural tile above.
Derek, as always, thank you.  I posted this  query after seeing the
Guastavino show at MCNY.  There they have a  demonstration dome, perhaps 4' square,
which indicated to me that the bottom  tiles were held in place only by
some adhesive.  Having just seen a  sofa-sized piece of cast stone fall from
the Zeckendorf apartment house (c.  1985) at 86th and Lexington (apparently an
attachment failure - no one injured)  it occurred to me that I have never
heard of such a failure with Guastavino  tiles.   And there are so many of
them.

So ... what is that glue?

Christopher

(PS If you're interested in G as an architect, you  gotta see these photos:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/realestate/off-with-the-face-paint.html )