BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marilyn Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chapel of the unPowered nailers.
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:31:29 -0500
     Actually I think the term is "jury-rigged" and has something to do
     with sailing vessels.  This does not mean that there isn't some sort
     of nasty connotation too, since sailors are not known for being
     refined.

     That's one of those wonderful, colorful words that don't have any good
     equivalent that you hate to see leave the vocabulary just because
     people think they are offensive.

     I suppose if people find it offensive we have to stop using it whether
     it was intended to be offensive or not.

     Marilyn

Subject: Re: Dutchman
Author:  Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]> at np--internet
Date:    2/5/01 7:59 AM

"he jewed me down on the price, but I took the job anyway  because I need
the work"....
We in New Haven antique section, land of Yale and the WASP often are heard
to say "he christianed me down"....
Best,
Leland

PS  I read somewhere, just after John Lindsey died that he used to say White
Anglo Saxon Protestant was redundant because they were all white, hence the
moniker:  ASP.