BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
``We've no telephone, and we've stopped opening our mail. You can't imagine how free we" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:19:16 EDT
Don't know if anyone on the list is interested, but this sounds like it might
be up some PINhead's alley....

-Heidi

From: "Robbie D. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>

 The Hermitage is currently restoring the original log buildings where
Andrew
 Jackson, his family, and slaves lived between 1804-1821.  A Save America's
 Treasures Official Project partially funded with a National Park Service
 grant, this 5-year restoration project (1999-2004) includes a ca.1800 log
 farmhouse and a ca.1805 log kitchen outbuilding/slave quarters; both were
 used as slave cabins between the 1820s and 1860.  These 200-year old
 buildings are extremely deteriorated and suffer from rot, insect damage,
and
 inappropriate repair work in the past.  The structurally unstable buildings
 must be dismantled and rebuilt with logs, timbers, and trim that have been
 repaired and conserved.

 Previously dismantled last winter, the Kitchen/Slave Cabin retained only
the
 basic architectural integrity such as log walls and ceiling joists.
 Currently being dismantled, the well-constructed Farmhouse/Slave Cabin,
 however, retains a surprising amount of original ca.1800 architectural
 integrity, including nearly the entire timber frame roof structure, floor
 joists, window frames and trim, fragments of floorboards, an attic ladder,
 partition walls, and other trim.

 We are searching for recommendations for an Architectural Conservator who
 can assist us with the repair work, including reconciliation and reuse of
 all possible original timbers, logs, joists, boards, and trim.   While a
 regionally-based company would be preferable, we are opening this search
 nationwide in order to obtain the best services possible for the
restoration
 of this significant National Historic Landmark.  Please feel free to
forward
 this email to any appropriate parties and to contact me off-list.  Thanks
in
 advance for any assistance.

 Mr. Robbie D. Jones
 Architectural Historian/Project Manager
 The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson
 4580 Rachel's Lane
 Nashville, TN 37076
 www.thehermitage.com
 615.889.2941 x201 9289 fax