BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:54:10 -0400
People in private houses in Jersey often seem to?enter and exit their homes from the back door rather than the front door.? "Company" almost always uses the front?door.
?
I have been pondering the extent to which?this is a geographical (Jersey? East Coast?)?phenomenon, and how much is?architectural (the part of my driveway where I park the car is near the back door; I use the front door when I'm on my way to?or from the bus, which?stops?in front of my house).
?
People in the CA of my yout', and in AZ?in my?college days,?didn't use the back?doors as the principal entrance.? On the other hand, even in Jersey City (where the back door wasn't accessible from anywhere but the back yard),?people often entered and exited their houses through the ground floor door under the stoop rather than using the real front door at the top of the stoop.?
?
Can anybody shed any light on this important matter?
?
Thanks.
?
Ralph??