BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The fundamentally unclean listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:47:23 EST
Historic sites, for example are being "Devolutionized" with bureaucrats
saying with big smiles at public meetings that the whole point of investing
millions of tax dollars into restoration and preservation of the places for
decades has always been with the idea of giving them up and letting them rot
one day.

Cuyler,

This reminds me of a black bear restoration program in Vermont I saw on TV
and how this guy raised three cubs, they were so cute, and then when they
were not so cute he let them go into the wild, with radio beacon collars and
all worried they would not get on too well in NATURE, and then they showed
another guy, what looked like a poor sap in hunting gear that could have been
Sharphooter's plumber, that shot the male bear -- the great hunter was almost
crying, least I imagined he was, while describing how he made the decision to
shoot, a very clinical, "If the bear moves towards me into that clearing
where I can get a clean shot then I shot him." So then I imagine all the
wildlife restoration folk told the guy the "long story", about the time he
got the radio beacon touting bear hauled out of his PU and into the
taxidermist's shop -- if the story and his infamous anti-PETA appearance on
PBS did not drive him to drink I don't know what would.

][<en (Please note that no obscenities were used in the creation of this
comment.)