BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:59:50 -0800
Ken,  I think we may have a stray copy or two of George AIKEN's "Pioneering
with Wildflowers."  And maybe a catalog from his nursery too.  Senator
AIKEN was first and foremost a nurseryman and a poltician second.  After
Senator AIKEN sold the nursery my Dad worked there for a number of years
and knew a lot about all the different wild plants.  Sadly, Dad doesn't
remember any of it now.

I have always liked wildflowers from the time I was little and my
grandmother and I used to go for walks around the farm and see the flowers.
We have arbutus, Adder's tongues, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Lady Slippers and
some others that I don't know how to spell.  When I was in grade school we
used to have wild flower contests in the spring to see who could bring in
the most different ones.  One time I went to pick a Jack-in-the-Pulpit and
it came up by the roots.  I was so upset I took it home and Grandma said to
plant it out by the steps so I did.  It came up for years but when we moved
back here I didn't see anything of it and assumed it had just died out.
Last spring I was clearing some of the weeds out of that small flower bed
and there were several Jacks, not in the exact spot, but there so
apparently it seeded itself, or whatever they do.  Ruth

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT