BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy R Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:02:44 -0500
Ralph,

I would bet that the real reason we started ripping trees into little pieces
was so we could get the water out of them (kiln drying on rail cars) so they
were lighter to ship, not to mention that nailing things together requires
much less knowledge of the traditional trades. The energy efficiency aspect
is a relatively recent but very real development with the morphing of
refrigerated room wall construction into today's SIP. Now you can span large
areas between timbers and get between R25 and R38 walls and roofs. Not a bad
idea when you're building a house that can easily last a few centuries. The
real problem is people today people no longer understand the real meaning of
value so they think building things to last costs too much.

Rudy

  _____