BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 15:56:35 -0400
As Judith Selwyn said it sounds like finger jointed stock which makes use of short pieces of knot-free wood rather requiring a much more expensive knot-free piece at full length. I don't think this is a good solution for a piece outdoors (much better for interior trim with lots of opaque paint on it).

Reminds me of an electric guitar I bought some 25 years ago, a "pre-CBS" Fender Stratocaster (meaning made back in the early 60's before CBS bought the company), that had been stripped and refinished in clear varnish or more likely polyurethane.  I was told that it had obviously been meant to be a solid color, not even "sunburst" where the grain only shows in a fairly small area, fading from opaque black at the edges,  through red and orange to a tranparent light yellow in the middle (I think the sunburst is the most valuable finish for these guitars), because the grain colors and patterns didn't match well. I still haven't gotten around to rectifying the situation but since I only pull it out of its case about once a year and it doesn't make a difference in how it sounds I don't think it will get a paint job soon.

Bruce (finger joints lock up and hurt at my age anyway)