BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:52:36 EST

Hell explained
The following is an actual  question given on a  University  of Arizona
chemistry mid term, and an actual answer  turned in by a student.

The answer by one student was so 'profound'  that the professor shared
it with colleagues, via the Internet, which  is, of course, why we now
have the pleasure of enjoying it as well  :
Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or  endothermic
(absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote  proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
(gas cools when it expands  and heats when it is compressed) or some
variant.

One student, however, wrote the  following:

First, we need  to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So
we need to know  the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the
rate at which they  are leaving, which is unlikely.. I think that we
can safely assume that  once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave.
Therefore, no souls are  leaving. As for how many souls are entering
Hell, let's look at the  different religions that exist in the world
today.

Most of these religions state that  if you are not a member of their
religion, you will go to Hell. Since  there is more than one of these
religions and since people do not  belong to more than one religion, we
can project that all souls go to  Hell. With birth and death rates as
they are, we can expect the number  of souls in Hell to increase
exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of  change of the volume in
Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order  for the temperature and
pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume  of Hell has to expand
proportionately as souls are  added.

This gives two possibilities:
1. If Hell is expanding at a  slower rate than the rate at which
souls enter Hell, then the  temperature and pressure in Hell will
increase until all Hell breaks  loose.

2. If Hell is  expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls
in Hell, then the  temperature and pressure will drop until Hell
freezes over.
So which  is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my  Freshman
year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with  you,'
and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night,  then
number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is  exothermic
and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is  that
since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting  any
more souls and is therefore, extinct..... ....leaving only  Heaven,
thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains  why,
last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'