BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:39:13 EST
In a message dated 3/11/00 8:23:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  nobody had the disrespect to charge him for the concrete.

Steve,

Years back a time when I was between real jobs I got a spot doing some work
for an urban homeowner who wanted to build a little garage on a flat piece of
ground just below a slope. I had dug out these humoungous trenches, he was
the designer, and he made all the design rules. He also had a used Chevy for
sale. On the day of the pour  I told him it was going to rain pretty heavy
and should he not reconsider the pour. He told me I did not know anything. I
must not have known much because he was not paying me very much either, but I
was a bit desperate for work and he had the advantage. I and a guy the
homeowner had found on the street, my instant helper, were standing there
waiting for the concrete... you know, all anxious and hyped up ready to go.
The concrete truck showed up just as the rain started coming down, lightning
and all and within two minutes a flow of water from the parking lot above the
trench came down in a flash flood and filled the trenches full with me still
standing in them. The quick little deal that went on where the homeowner
signed over the title of the used car to the driver of the concrete truck was
entertaining. We got the pour done a week later. I can still see the water
rushing down the slope from the parking lot above.

][<en