BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:51:11 -0700

"I ain't buyin' this story for a nanosecond."

"These are probably the same guys that remember walking to school in the
snow ten miles there and back uphill both ways."

It is fascinating that we are so sure of our own realities that we have a hard time accepting something out of our common knowledge.   George Frederic Handle summed it up in the famous line from "The Messiah"  -  "Oh we, like sheep, have gone astray."   We are indeed like sheep.    (I know some choruses sing it "Oh, we like sheep!" but that is just reading themselves into the reality by not reading fully the message of commas on the page.)

Yep, urban myths are documentable and fascinating.   So is the "Dynamite Church."   In the history research business I pursue as part of the restoration work, I am always amazed at how many variations there have been on the human experience, and that more often than not, the real thing from another time is more amazing than any fantasy one might dream up.   David Lowenthal wrote a book about historic interpretation/presentation called "The Past is a Foreign Country."

Bone swa mon a'mee.

cp in bc