BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:41:48 EST
Subject:        Heritage Building Preservation Must Be Priority
From:   Heritage Foundation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:   Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:58:59 -0800

PRESS  RELEASE

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
1 Springdale Street, St. John's, NF, A1C 5V5
739-1892  Fax: 739-5413

For Immediate Release

Date:   March 11, 1998
Contact:        Victoria Collins
Phone:  737-8662
Fax:    737-8699

Foundation Calls for Restoration of Government Funding
Heritage Building Preservation Must be a Budget Priority

St. John's, NF - Heritage buildings are important tourism attractions
and significant economic generators so in its upcoming budget the
provincial government must find the funds to support building
preservation, says the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and
Labrador.  The Heritage Foundation was established by the provincial
government in 1984 with the mission of preserving the province's built
heritage resource through financial and professional assistance, and the
fostering of public understanding and appreciation of its value.

"It is vital that this non-renewable resource -- heritage buildings --
be protected and preserved," said Victoria Collins, the Foundation's
chairperson.  "One of the most obviously unique aspects of our culture,
and hence our tourism appeal, is our built heritage. The older
structures in our communities lend character to our townscapes, convey
our history, and help us and visitors to the province understand who we
are.  Additionally, the restoration of these buildings generates more
economic activity and employment than demolition and new construction.
Properly restored and reused, they are community assets and tourist
attractions."

Since its inception, the Heritage Foundation has designated 159
buildings -- from modest cottages to provincial landmarks -- as
Registered Heritage Structures and dispersed 126 restoration grants
totalling $624,000, resulting in a spin-off economic effect of close to
eight times that amount.  The Foundation operates with a
government-appointed volunteer board of directors drawn from the regions
of the province and with historical and architectural expertise.  The
Foundation's two staff provide restoration advice and assistance to
property owners, as well as administrative support for the work of the
board.

"Only one organization in this province is tackling this important
aspect of heritage preservation and that is the Heritage Foundation,"
said Ms. Collins. "And we are perilously close to losing the Foundation
due to the provincial government's withdrawal of annual funding."

Up until 1995 the Foundation received an annual operating grant from the
provincial government, but it has received almost no provincial funding
since then.  "Our volunteer board of directors estimates that with our
current resources the Foundation can continue to operate at a reduced
level of service for about another year," Ms. Collins said.  "We are
seeking ongoing financial support from the provincial government to
advance the work of the Foundation as outlined in our new strategic
plan."

Ms. Collins said the Foundation undertook the strategic planning
exercise in 1997 to guide its programs and activities to the year 2000
and as part of its response to several pressing issues and concerns:

- the low level of public awareness and appreciation of our built
heritage,
- the difficulty in obtaining financial support for heritage
preservation, and
- unfavourable tax and regulatory regimes.

The strategic plan calls for the development of a provincial Built
Heritage Policy to ensure effective co-ordination of the preservation
agenda between government departments, the provincial and municipal
governments.  It also identifies strategies for raising public awareness
of the value of our built heritage, documenting significant structures
remaining in the province, and communicating the enhanced economic
returns of heritage restoration over demolition/new construction.

The draft plan was presented to Sandra Kelly, minister of Culture,
Tourism and Recreation and minister responsible for the Foundation, in
early December for comment.  The plan is also being circulated to other
heritage groups in the province for feedback.

Ms. Collins said that once the provincial grant is restored, the
Foundation will be able to work with the provincial government and other
public and private sector partners "in this most important mission for
Newfoundland and Labrador: preserving our built heritage for the benefit
of present and future generations."

For more information, please contact Victoria Collins at 737-8662
(office) or 753-8081 (home), or George Chalker, executive secretary,
Heritage Foundation, at 739-1892.

The executive summary of the Foundation's draft strategic plan is
attached below; the full document is available on the World Wide Web at
www.avalon.nf.ca/heritage

Heritage Foundation Strategic Plan Executive Summary

Newfoundland and Labrador has a remarkable and distinctive built
heritage.  While much of it has been lost or is currently at risk, a
rich resource of fishing premises, residences, institutional and
community buildings remains in place throughout the province.  The
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador was established in 1984
with the mission of preserving this precious heritage resource through
financial and professional assistance, and the fostering of public
understanding and appreciation of its value.

There are well- recognized social, cultural and aesthetic benefits of
built heritage preservation.  The economic benefits are also being
recognized around the globe, for example:

- it is a requirement for development of the cultural and heritage
tourism sector, one of the fastest growing segments of the international
travel industry and one which has growth potential in every region of
this province,

- heritage districts have proven themselves internationally as excellent
venues for new business creation and development, and

- the restoration of heritage buildings generates a healthy return on
investment, provides more jobs than new construction and is more energy
efficient.

The list of significant buildings demolished or left in ruins in this
province since 1949 is shocking and many others are currently at risk of
being lost or permanently altered.  There are several major issues and
concerns that need to be addressed in considering the future, including:

- the low level of awareness and appreciation of our built heritage,
- the difficulty in obtaining financial support for heritage
preservation, and
- unfavourable tax and regulatory regimes.

A provincial Built Heritage Policy is badly needed, which will, among
other things, ensure effective co-ordination of the preservation agenda
between government departments, the provincial and municipal
governments.

This Strategic Plan addresses these and other issues and puts forward an
action plan for the Foundation during the 1997-2000 operating period.
Its key objectives are:

To identify and document all buildings and structures of architectural,
cultural and historical significance to Newfoundland and Labrador, with
particular emphasis on the province's "heritage communities", as defined
by the Department of Tourism, Culture & Recreation.

To encourage the preservation of these buildings through designation,
financial assistance, co-ordination and moral suasion
through direct assistance to property owners and working with community
groups.

To encourage municipal councils and property owners to preserve the
townscapes of their communities, through, for example, the "heritage
district" model.

To educate the public of Newfoundland and Labrador regarding the value
of preserving the built heritage including strategic input into the
education system and development of a comprehensive public
communications program.

To influence government decisions in the areas of built heritage,
heritage tourism and heritage districts including reviewing relevant
legislation and government policies, participating in the development of
a Provincial Built Heritage Strategy and pursuing an HST exemption for
restoration materials.

The Heritage Foundation will require resources to carry out this work,
including funding support from the provincial government in the form of
an endowment sufficient to sustain the basic annual granting and
operational expenses of the Foundation.  The resources required to carry
out the other important initiatives outlined in this document would be
generated from other private sector sources.

The Foundation looks forward to working with the provincial government
and other public and private sector partners in this most important
mission for Newfoundland and Labrador: preserving our built heritage for
future generations.

--

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador

"The Foundation Calls for Restoration of Government Funding"
Lobby for the Foundation's survival online at:

      http://www.avalon.nf.ca/heritage/save.htm

"Cities that ignore their historic preservationists and do not pay
attention to the revitalization and economic development that can follow
from their efforts are almost certain to suffer a dollar loss" - Arthur
Frommer, Travel Holiday