BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:11:38 -0400
Leland,

Great story. I trust you are aware that piping has deep roots in Skye. It was the home of the MacCrimmons, hereditary pipers to the MacLeod clan for quite a while. They had a "college" in Dunvegan, where they taught the Ceol Mor, "big music", long before the military stuff came along. One of the most haunting piobreached tunes of the Ceol Mor is Cha Till MacCruimen, "MacCrimmon will Never Return", a lament that was written by Donald MacCrimmon after having a premonition of his own death at the Rout of Moy. Try to find it on midi, if you can't, let me know.

Twybil

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Se
nt: Friday, April 10, 2009 6:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] welcome

In a message dated 4/10/2009 2:00:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
Deborah writes:

I love Laphroaig as a winter dram; if I shut my eyes, I'd swear I was
sitting in a big old hearth soaking up the warmth of the fire, it's so
peaty.&nbsp

Some time in the mid 60's ; I was hitchiking through Skye and got a ride with a local farmer who thought well enough of this hulking young american with a back pack and  peach fuzz on his chin to offer him a spot for his sleeping bag and a place by  the fire and hot supper at the family table  ;
For those who have never been ; Skye is enchantingly  beautiful  with purple heather and purple mountains .
The sun was going down on this day and we were on a vey  twisty turning gravel road when we became escoureted by two black and white  Scottish sheep dogs  who brought us to the front door of the  main cottage ; a thick walled stone  cottage with the tiny stone windows of the 19th cent .
The house and garden overlooked  the wind tossed race of the  inner hebrides ;
and with the mystical purple mountains and the suns reflection off the sea
and clouds I thought I was in some  dream of the celtic twilight of the Gods . .
We uncermonously entered the front door of the house and I realized  I had entered a different world ;
the floor was rolled oiled
 clay and there before the roaring peat fire was a beaten copper tub with two naked children having thier saturday  bath given by thier  mother as  two octogenarian grand parents looked on from chairs by the fire
Everyone including the kids welcomed me ;but they all were speaking Gallic ; which I had never heard before .
Its a very poetic ; a  song like language .
Unsure I  wasn't dreaming  I too was offered a chair by the fire and given a glass of something peaty as the rosy cheeked children were exited from the bath and rubbed hard with a dry  towel before  the fire
My first taste of the liquid plunged me into the wildness of the place .and my memlory of  traveling through it
The peat , the fire , the granite , the purple mountains and the briny  rugged coast of the Hebrides .all fell in on me with this complex taste with a  bite of sea weed
The next tastes began to conjure up images and  legends of the sea
the monsters and the stories of the little people of the lochs ;
the devic spirituality of the druids and the pagans who worshiped this magical mystical land of rocks of  Old Gods and potions  whose very liquid I was drinking captured me and held me in some timeless root to the inner celtic  world   .
of dream and story .
The father interupted my visons and spoke to me in English  to  make me feel more at home
but it was the glass ...... the briny nectar of the ..Lag
avulin
..that  tied it all together and  welocmed me  home
Slange Na Var ; Py

Ps  In warm climates the taste of whiskey isn't as comforting as the colder or lighter spirits  as a  beverages ;

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220814837x1201410725/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooterNO62)

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html *Please vote for ICORS every 24 hours* http://www.lsoft.com/news/choicevote.asp

--

*Please vote for ICORS every 24 hours* <http://www.lsoft.com/news/choicevote.asp>