BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edison Coatings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 08:18:19 -0400
Leland,

I'm not sure to which point you are addressing the "why", but in general modern waterborne paints are a delicate balance of tiny binder emulsion particles, pigment particles, cosolvents, fillers and complicated surfactant packages. It's kind of amazing that the stuff works at all, and it is a really under-appreciated technical triumph, if you think about how far all of this has come in just our lifetimes.

Pigment and filler particles can carry little electrical charges that tend to make them stick to each other. The binder particles are little globs of polymer surrounded by a surfactant film that allows them to form stable emulsions in water.
Dispersants/surfactants are there keep them apart. Freezing can easily upset the surfactant chemistry.

Binder particles are supposed to coalesce and form a film after the paint is applied and starts to dry out. The paint doesn't know the difference between the air surrounding the walls of your house and the air in the head space of your half-consumed can of paint. It coalesces and doesn't easily go back to being dispersed little particles. (Note that I did not say half-EMPTY can of paint - as paint containers, like glasses of water, are never empty, a portion of their liquid contents simply being replaced by an odorless, colorless gas).

Most paints include ingredients that can act as food microbes of one sort or another. There are anti-microbial additives that keep them in check for a while, but once the can is opened and nature gains entree, the anti-microbial package can eventually lose the battle.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
Michael P. Edison
President
3 Northwest Drive