BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:43:12 -0400

>lettuce Vasser tells him that their policy is if the student does not want his or
>her parents seeing their grades the University won't send them to them(the
>parents).

I never once saw a grade for SON at college. Even if SON wanted us to
see grades school would not send them. This we were told during one hour
of 'parent' indoctrination and they were true to their word. Though SON
received grades he would register them in his head then lose them... we
don't count, and we never encouraged him to count, grades as significant
as long as they were not failing. He was sent to school to get tools &
how to use them, not grades.

The one time when SON was in grade school I saw grades I got pissed that
SON's teacher had failed him in math because SON forgot to sign
homework. SON did the homework and turned it in, simply SON did not
remember to sign it. My argument was if stupid ass teacher could not
tell SON's handwriting then she must be incompetent (count number of
students who do not sign homework)... are they teaching math or what?
Did SON understand the math? If SON did not understand the math it was
one thing, if SON was psychologically disposed to forget name it was
another. So I raised a rucus and, as SON informed me last night (or very
early this morning), I got the teacher fired (I did not know this until
last night), got SON's science teacher in hot water as well... and
more-or-less screwed up SON's grade school experience by having teachers
afraid and pissed at SON for what I had done.

The teachers were on this kick that not simply were they supposed to
teach their subjects, but they were to somehow prepare the kids for a
bigger world... in my opinion the 'bigger world' was my responsibility
and not theirs. When  science teacher said that SON needed to learn to
be more organized if SON was to survive my comment was that SON would be
well prepared for understanding chaos theory. The teacher never smiled
and right there I regreted that we sent SON to be taught by incompetent
people.

Then again, it is not the quality of the world that we need to control,
it is controlling ourselves in what we can do to assist SON/DAUGHTER in
meeting an unqualified and chaotic world.

So, I suppose, be grateful for what you get and hope that you do not
screw up too much.

][<en