BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy R Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 11:36:53 -0400
Michael,

That last one got away unfinished. Working on my lap at the Atlanta airport
desperately hoping they don't cancel our flight to Cleveland for a third
time!

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. You are directly addressing
a subject that concerns me greatly and I for one am willing and interested
(we can argue about able later) to learn how to better effect education in
the various traditional trades without making a mess. Part of the problem is
that we (PTN) keep getting bounced around between different disciplines and
partners and it's often hard to tell who does or doesn't know what they are
talking about. I will be the first to admit my knowledge of lime and natural
cements is limited at best. In both cases the choice, unquestioned by me, to
use hydraulic lime was made by the university faculty. In 2008 it was the
University of Florida and in 2009 it was Tulane. In both cases the
individuals involved were not very long in the tooth.

Having the materials tested just makes sense. Why it was not done isn't
known to me, but I will work to make sure it happens in the future. One
question would be cost. In timber frame projects and other historic wooden
building projects we have been able to get wood identified by the Forest
Products Lab at no cost. Is something like that available for educational
programs involving historic masonry structures? If not, how do I budget for
having mortar or plaster tested?

Rudy

  _____